NULL

2007-08-22 06:20:44.000 – John and Steve,  Summit Volunteers

NULL

Sunrise this morning was as you might expect: on time, and spectacular. Pictures are indeed worth a thousand words and we took a few, perhaps a hundred or more over the last week, as we served as volunteers here on the rockpile.

Visitors are told that the summit is in the clouds 60% of the time, which we have discoverd is true; but the other 40%, WOW, and we do mean WOW. Even in the clouds there is rarely a dull moment. During the last week, we experienced a peak wind gust to 93.7 MPH, a touch of rime on the summit buildings and deck, three thnderstorms, and the opportunity to help secure ice sensitive equipment in a very high wind on the top of the tower. These opportuntites and more await all observatory members who choose to volunteer a week of their time on the summit.

A wish list for this Wednesday morning from all the summit staff includes more of the same weather we have all just experienced, indeed more of the fine cooking that Steve and I provided, and from Nin, a sincere desire for a 40 inch plasma screen TV to while away the winter hours to come! We’ll be back

 

John and Steve,  Summit Volunteers

Overview of Lapse Rate Research

May 20th, 2024|0 Comments

Overview of Lapse Rate Research By Karl Philippoff As a weather observer and research specialist on top of Mount Washington, in addition to my usual observer duties such as taking hourly observations, releasing forecasts,

Deadline Driven: The 12-Hour Shifts that Power Weather Forecasting from the Northeast’s Highest Peak

May 9th, 2024|Comments Off on Deadline Driven: The 12-Hour Shifts that Power Weather Forecasting from the Northeast’s Highest Peak

Deadline Driven: The 12-Hour Shifts that Power Weather Forecasting from the Northeast's Highest Peak By Wendy Almeida  As a new member of the Mount Washington Observatory team, I wanted to gain a deeper understanding

Find Older Posts