2011-02-02 23:53:10.000 – Mike Carmon, Staff Meteorologist
The traditional shift change Wednesday has come and nearly gone, and yet, here our shift remains.
In anticipation of hazardous travel in the valley of our counterparts on the opposite shift, and probability of very difficult if not impossible travel up the Auto Road, the decision was made to delay shift change until tomorrow, when conditions (at least in the valley below) will be much improved.
General totals of 8-10″ have been reported across northern New Hampshire as of mid-afternoon, and the snow continues to fall. The radar currently in motion on my other monitor shows plenty of steady snowfall descending and blanketing most of New Hampshire. However, at this time, the most significant portion of the storm has passed.
Now we wait for our snow tractor operators to do their magic, and plow through what will hopefully end up being a passable road. The 2-4 foot drifts currently dotting the summit may serve as quite ominous omens of the conditions of certain notoriously tricky stretches of the road.
But only time will tell. So I’ll conclude my night here, and hope to awake tomorrow morning to the sound of the other crew outside my door!
Mike Carmon, Staff Meteorologist